All year round, termites cause extensive damage to homes and businesses in Tallahassee, FL. These opportunistic pests can invade undetected and devastate an area before you even notice their presence. Since termites make such quick work of their target, it is vital to address any issues when determining a problem.
What are termites?
As detritivores, termites go for anything decaying or rotting, especially wood. Without much of a preference, they’ll eat all types of wood with equal enthusiasm. They tend to live within soil, searching for their next meal.
As far as humans are concerned, termites couldn’t care less. Bites from these insects are incredibly rare, and the worst they can do is cause skin irritation. Some people are more sensitive than others and have an allergy to their saliva.
Signs of Termite Damage
Signs of a termite infestation can be subtle. Other than dead termites, droppings, or wings left behind, most indications have to do with physical damage to your business or home.
- Paint can bubble or crack due to termite tunnels in the walls. You will find this clue mostly on baseboards, doors, frames of windows, or anything constructed from wood.
- Walls that used to be solid can become hollow as termites make their way through the house. Knock on these walls, and if you hear an echoing sound, termite activity is highly possible.
- A sawdust-like substance can appear near small holes or cracks in the wood of your home. This type of termite dropping is called frass, and it shows up around the exits or entrances that the insects use.
How can I prevent a termite infestation?
You may still be wondering how to prevent termites. Follow the tips listed below to reduce the likelihood of a termite infestation in your home.
- Avoid letting any wood touch the ground to prevent a path straight from termite tunnels. This path can lead to your house and give them easy access to food sources.
- Empty crawl spaces of lumber or firewood and do not place them close to where your home meets the soil. This measure prevents termites from making paths between them to avoid previously treated soil.
- Ensure no moisture sources such as leaky pipes cause the ground to become wet. The less moisture, the less likely termites are to settle in the area.
- Humidity in crawl spaces entices termites to look for food sources there. Keep the area ventilated adequately to avoid any buildup.
- Be careful with mulch and wood chips that you use in your yard. If they are too close to your house, termites will take it as an invitation.
- Having your home or business inspected by a professional is the best way to prevent termites.
How can Capelouto get rid of termites?
Termite infestations are not something you can fix on your own. If left untreated, termites can cause extensive damage that’s not only expensive to fix, but that can create dangerously weak wooden structures. Protect your home and your family by enlisting the help of the professionals at Capelouto. Call us or fill out the contact form on this page to get started!